Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Carlsbad Caverns

One of the reasons we picked Van Horn to camp was because Hwy 54 North is right here and that will take us right up to Carlsbad Caverns, 100 miles north.  So we packed a fabulous picnic lunch and headed out for a drive across the desert.  It was a nice road and we passed maybe 2 cars on Hwy 54 going up and I think 5 coming back, not a good road to break down on...which we did not ! We also changed a time zone and crossed a state line on that road.

Okay, so Carlsbad Caverns is a National Park and its actually in New Mexico.  The tours available are numerous but you must reserve a guided tour ahead of time, which we did not do.  So, we took self guided tours and they were just fine.  750 feet below the earths surface into what they call "The Big Room" and it is all of that.  What a wonder it is....absolutely breathtaking and incredibly it maintains a temperature of 58 degrees at all times.  They have a concrete walkway around the cave that runs a mile and has several informational markers for those without a guide.  We really enjoyed it...take a look !  Oh and did I mention the bats?  Yes this cave, mainly at the natural entrance hole, is full of bats which emerge in the evenings in mass...that is an event that we would love to have seen but could not.


This is what they call the Natural Entrance...where the bats come in and out. 




Fear Factor: Okay I want to note that I once again had to make a decision about going back into a hole in the earth, especially one that is 750 feet deep.  I just had to do it and I was glad I did.  Okay, I have to admit I kind of cheated....Linda and I took the elevator while Joe and Henry entered through the natural entrance and hiked down into the Big Room.  I found out also that earthquakes do happen here and when they do, not one thing is impacted...in fact the cave itself absorbs and actually buffers the seismic action and this cave is probably more safe during an earthquake than being on the surface. They told me that before I got on the elevator down !

What a wonderful day we had...hope yours was exceptional too !  xxoo TML