Sunday, May 15, 2011

Caverns of Sonora

Coming from California and having experienced an earthquake or two, it's not easy for this girl to venture into a cave and travel 150 feet below the surface of the earth...BUT...today I did !  We are camping at Caverns of Sonora Campground tonight and so of course we wanted to take the guided tour.  I didn't really think much about it until we went down the first set of stairs and descended thru skinny slits in the earth and it all hit me...I AM UNDER A HUGE CHUNK OF EARTH.  We had kids in our group so that helped me (okay the truth is it forced me) to stay composed and I really had to talk my way through the 2 hour trek.  It was pretty amazing but I was very, very happy to see the sky again.  Here are a couple of pictures Joe took inside.




In this park, we have found a host of different animals just roaming around.  I have never seen a Guinna (sp) and they are not easily approached but I managed to get a good picture of one.  Here is also a pretty good shot of a peacock that walks the grounds and frequently stops to look in the window of the gift shop.  As I am typing this, Joe and Henry are outside taking pictures of some deer that are by our RV. 


Tomorrow we continue west to Van Horn, Texas.  Hope everyone is doing really well !  xxoo TML